Friday, May 11, 2007

Thai One On

I overtip. I admit it. If the service is good, my server will get at least 20%. That’s just for good service. Reasonably prompt attention, drinks refilled when they’re empty, and food delivered as ordered are all I expect. If I’ve asked for deviations from the menu and am accommodated, that bumps up the tip. If I’ve ordered a martini and it’s properly prepared and delivered in a timely manner, both the server and the bartender will be tipped. Exceptional service providers receive exceptional tips.

One of my favorite places to eat is a local Thai restaurant, Phuket. In addition to the Thai food, they also have a sushi bar. Superb food, service and atmosphere are the norm.

We have a favorite server and request seating in her area when we have dinner there. “K” knows us. She knows exactly how I like my martini and she makes sure it’s made properly. She knows the man hates onions and his food arrives without them. “K” always gets a great tip. Does she provide great service because she knows she’ll get a good tip? It’s possible but doubtful. To get the first great tip, she had to first give great service. She did; she does. “K” cares.

I recently read an article on Slashfood discussing how Japan wants to certify sushi as being authentic. I have a selfish concern. What if the authentication of sushi means that those folks who didn’t come up through the Japanese sushi ranks can’t compete? The sushi chef at Phuket is Hispanic. He wasn’t traditionally trained. I’m fairly certain he’s never even been to Japan. “T” makes the most delightful sushi. Not only is it fresh and delicious, it is art. Take a look at one of his masterpieces (and please forgive the camera phone picture). This isn’t the work of someone just showing up for work. He cares.


They care and that’s the difference. That’s what makes good service. Caring about your work, caring about your customer and having some pride in a job done well is what makes for good service. Even though we don’t sit at the sushi bar or interact personally with him, “T” cares about service. He takes pride in every piece of sushi that leaves the sushi bar. “K” cares about her customers and she takes pride in her work. It matters to her if the drink is made correctly and the food pleasing.

When I think about our last visit to Phuket, I’m quite pleased that I Paid For That.





Confession: Even though we're in our 40s, we mispronounce Phuket and giggle like pre-teens at least once every visit. Granted, we say it while on the way there or whisper it to each other but, still, we do it.

2 comments:

John the Scientist said...

Re: your confession. A friend of mine went to Thailand on a business trip. His company-provided tranalator's first name was, and I shit you not, "Turd".

Ima Wurdibitsch said...

I absolutely love how you used the term "shit you not" when you were about to tell the guy's name. That is too funny!